Countries, states, regions, cities, towns, or protected areas are eligible if the following conditions were met:
- An administrative organisation, governance structure, or a destination management organisation (DMO or DMC) is responsible for tourism destination management and sustainability;
- A destination would usually not be smaller than 50-100 sq km, and not larger than 40,000 sq km.
- Accommodations, single buildings, attractions and theme parks are considered not eligible: eco-lodges may be eligible if they have a recognised and strong stewardship for a large area that is otherwise not managed.
Eligible destinations make nominations through Green Destinations’ online assessment platform, and shall include:
- clarification how the destination complies with the 30 Core criteria of the Green Destinations Standard
- 5 pictures illustrating the sustainability of the destination
- a sustainability pitch: what are the most prominent achievements?
- a sustainability success story: what is a specific tangible result you’re proud of?