Countries, states, regions, cities, towns, or protected areas are eligible if the following conditions were met:
- An administrative organisation, governance structure, or a destination management organisation (DMO or DMC) is responsible for tourism destination management and sustainability;
- A destination would usually not be smaller than 50-100 sq km, and not larger than 40,000 sq km.
- Accommodations, single buildings, attractions and theme parks are considered not eligible: eco-lodges may be eligible if they have a recognised and strong stewardship for a large area that is otherwise not managed.
Eligible destinations make nominations through Green Destinations’ online assessment platform, and shall include:
- A brief destination description, a map, a sustainability pitch, and 5 copyright-free pictures (high
resolution, 1 MB or more).
- Summarize what the destination is doing to adhere to the relevant policy and management criteria
of the Green Destinations Standard.
- Quantitative information on ca. 30 indicators (Indicator Report).
- A Good Practice Story.
- Two independent references (names and contact information)